Diagnostics are an important tool used by your heart doctor to monitor the condition of your heart. Testing may be used to diagnose the cause of heart disease symptoms, or to check your heart’s function regularly as part of ongoing management for chronic heart disease at Phoenix. Cardiac Solutions offers a variety of diagnostic testing options, including heart arrhythmia detection, nuclear testing, remote device monitoring, and vascular ultrasound.
The Basics of Nuclear Stress Testing
Nuclear stress testing is a form of diagnostic imaging that uses a small amount of radioactive material, called a tracer, to provide a clearer picture of your heart and how it functions when at rest and under stress. This type of test is generally performed to diagnose coronary artery disease, evaluate your heart’s ejection fraction, or develop a better plan for ongoing treatment of heart disease.
- If you take certain types of heart medications or medication for asthma, diabetes, or chronic pain conditions, let your heart doctor know—you may need to change or stop taking these medications just before your test.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes that allow you to move easily, especially if your test will include walking or jogging on a treadmill.
- During your test, a radioactive dye will be introduced into your bloodstream via an IV. You will be asked to lie quietly for some time afterward, during which your resting heart activity will be monitored.
- Stress testing generally includes walking or jogging on a treadmill; the speed or incline of the machine may be varied. If you cannot walk on a treadmill, you may be given some medication that will make your heart feel like it is doing some light exercise. Images may be taken of your heart during activity, as well as after you are finished exercising.
Top Benefits of Diagnostic Testing
Diagnostic testing is an important step in the management of heart disease. Cardiac Solutions provides state-of-the-art testing for the diagnosis and management of congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, atrial fibrillation, and peripheral vascular disease near Phoenix; call us today at (623) 876-8816 to learn more.
- Diagnostic testing is a non-invasive way for your heart doctor to see the structure and function of your heart. The results can aid with faster, more accurate diagnosis of heart disease for a more effective treatment plan.
- Individuals with chronic heart conditions require consistent monitoring to evaluate ongoing heart health and the efficacy of treatment solutions. Diagnostic testing allows for consistent comparisons of the heart over time so treatment plans can be maintained or changed as needed.
- Even patients with no history of heart disease symptoms can benefit from diagnostic testing if they are at high risk for heart disease. Diagnostics provide a good benchmark for heart health and may be able to identify health concerns that don’t cause outward symptoms.